Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dust Settling On Father's Day Weekend

How blessed I am to be here and to celebrate Father's Day with my DH (well my, gentleman farmer.)  You know he has and still does drive me crazy.... yet, he is a very good father to our family.  He loved his father, yet, he was not in his life very much, and so the art of fathering is something he has learned by trial and error and with a lot of help from Heavenly Father, the greatest example there is.  DH and the boys grew up in the scouting program.  I guess you could say that we are a scouting family.  I did all the cub stuff and DH did all the scout stuff.  If there is a knot to be tied, a snow cave to be built, someone to haul a bunch of scouts to camp, drive across the country to New Mexico to Philmont and climb the "Tooth Of Time" my DH is your man.  All of our boys are eagle scouts and without the unfailing commitment to endless committee meetings, Christmas tree pick-up drives, hair raising late nights when "someone" had procrastinated on a merit badge requirement, training for and enduring the riggers of 50 mile bike rides, oh, and "hiking" in the Mt. Lassen area and one of the fellow scout leaders had to be air lifted out of the mountains and last but not least letting each of our boys be responsible for packing their own things for camp outs....

Our youngest son is twenty one and will be coming home this friday.  He has been away for two years and we are excited to have him home.  Even if it is only for a short six weeks before he heads back to university.  Loving, supportive and kind my DH has been to all of our sons as they each have left home.  Writing letters and sharing hard earned advise when needed.  

I guess you could say that we all have grown up together and together we are.  We would not have asked for any of the bumps in the road, but we sure are not going to give back any of the lessons we have learned.  I am thankful that we have survived, not killed each other along the way, and that my DH my GF (gentleman farmer) is the father of my precious boys.  Well Done GF.

4 comments:

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Wonderful tribute to your men...Have fun with your son home for a while.

Pat

Orcsmom said...

Gran,
You have such a way with your writing, I must cry every time I read your entries! How nice to have your son home, even if it is only for a short time, but what a contribution he is making for all out in this big, old world we live! I can't wait to see ya tonight. Hugs until then!

Pam

Unknown said...

What a tribute to your GF. My sentemnents also Enjoy the time with your son. They grow up so fast. The older they get the more they want to come home.

quiltmom anna said...

Gran,
I loved your post- My son has his Chief Scout and he was a Beaver, Cub, and Scout. He went to the EuroJam in England in 2005.
It is great for your boys to have such wonderful connections with their dad. My husband and son are the same. Have a great time with your son while he is home with you.
They do grow up so fast.
Great post...
Hugs,
Anna