Thursday, July 21, 2011

Missing My Mom

This is a picture of one of my sweet sister's saying a last goodbye before leaving. The dust is settling (no pun intended) and all in the family are back in their own homes scattered here and there in different cities across North America.  


The turn my mother's  health would take towards the end of March was a surprise to her and to all of us.  She and our son had planned a road trip touring the Canadian Rockies.  She came up with the idea - He was still recovering from his health issues and she was going to enjoy being driven to see some of the land that she loved.  Relaxing, no stress ... It was not to be, she fell a few days before he was to fly there, and he decided to go instead to be with her in her recovery (no broken bones, thankfully) and perhaps take her on little day trips after her hospital stay was over.  The hospital stay was good, in that tests were done to understand more about her fall and a diagnosis made.  


Mom passed away July 8th.  Her journey this last three months was a hard one.  Seems so short a time looking back now, but it was long and hard for her.  Between my sisters and my step-sisters and brothers she was never alone.  Her doctor in the hospice unit said to me, "Dying is hard work for her and hard work for those attending to her."  It was.  For me it was a blessing to be with her the last weeks of her life and to be with her when she took her last breath.   


Ever a mother to the end the lessons she taught me will be treasured always until we meet again.  

17 comments:

Robin C said...

Gran,
I love reading your blog as you have the same love for things that I do. And I was so sad to hear about your mother. Today when I read your post I just felt I had to take the time and write you a short note. I am 56 years old and my precious Mother was 40 years old when I was born. I was blessed to have her in my life until I was 45 and she 85. Her last 3 years were hard, full of pain for her until in the end as much as I wanted her to stay and be here with me I knew that even if God were to spare her, in the shape she was in, that she would have no quality of life. After her death time sort of stopped for me and to this day I feel like an orphaned child. I would go to pick up the phone and call her, stop to think-should I buy this for Mom and it would be so hard. It's been 10 years and I still long so very much to just sit and hold her hand, listen to her talk and be with her but I can say that God has been good to take the pain and sorrow away and it does get easier. I also believe that when my time on this earth is over that beside Jesus in heaven will be my mother, waiting for me and I know that I will see her again. For me, this is great comfort.

I pray that you will find comfort too as the days go on...

Robin in Virginia

Orcsmom said...

Glad you are home and hope you are getting some much deserve rest. Your friends have you in our thoughts and prayers daily! Please do not hesitate to call if you need anything! Hugs!!
Pam

dianne said...

i feel your pain and i grieve with you, dear one

~Laurie~ said...

I'm sorry sweetie :(

Kelly Ann said...

sending you hugs....xoxo

Anonymous said...

Many thoughts are sent your way today as always. Hugs too!

quiltmom anna said...

My dear gran,
I am so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. It is was wonderful that you and your siblings were able to be together with her during her journey's end.
I hope all is well in California.
Sending you and yours my sincere condolences in the loss of your mother.
Perhaps our paths will cross yet one day. Sending you a big cyber hug.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Linda in Calif. said...

(((Hugs)))

paulette said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. Be comforted in knowing your were with her right till the end! It's been 33 years since I lost my mom and I still miss her. I hear what you are saying and feel your pain. You take care!
Paulette

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Gran - I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

luv2quilt2 said...

Thoughts, hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Miss Jean said...

Sending you hugs and love....

Teresa said...

July 21 is my mom's birthday and the second one she has had since her passing. Oh how it hurts to lose a treasured mom, and you sound like yours meant as much to you as mine did to me. We have both been blessed to have had special moms.

Shelley said...

My sympathies and prayers to you...I think the wise statement of the Dr. is a lesson for us all to remember. ((((HUGS)))))

Tracy said...

You are in my heart & prayers friend...

Denise said...

I just cried when reading your post.. I lost both my Dad on July 2nd and my Mom on Sept 15th just 72 days apart last year.. We just marked the first year anniversary for Dad and headed to the first year anniversary for Mom in a few days. I took care of them for 8 years as they sat side by side next door to me. I so understand the pain of your loss...... We mourn but not as the world mourns... Sending you my warmest thoughts and prayers....

Josie McRazie said...

Thank you for sharing her with us even for a brief moment. I know how difficult it is. My Mother was only 57. http://jocrazymama.blogspot.com/2011/03/march-16th.html